Cornmeal Millet Poppy Seed Muffins
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
“Toasted millet and poppy seeds give cornmeal muffins a hearty and rich dimension in this crowd-pleasing recipe.”
3/4 cup millet
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon white sugar, or as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spread millet on a baking sheet.
3. Bake in the preheated oven, stirring often, until toasted and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool, about 5 minutes.
4. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups.
5. Mix millet, flour, cornmeal, poppy seeds, 3 tablespoons sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
6. Whisk milk, honey, canola oil, egg, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared muffin cups; sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over batter.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and tops are golden, 12 to 15 minutes.